Saturday, March 20, 2010

On the Bus with Professor Satchafunkilus

Q&A with Joe Satriani

Last summer I was lucky enough to go on tour for a week with the rock "super group," Chickenfoot, which consists of Sammy Hagar and Mike Anthony of Van Halen fame, Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer and all around great guy, Chad Smith, and one of the greatest guitarists of all time, Joe Satriani (known to his many fans as "Professor Satchafunkilus"). I was allowed to ride on Joe Satriani's tour bus while he traveled from Cleveland to New York City between gigs. Joe is one of the nicest people you could ever meet, but I am still in awe of him and even though I was bursting with questions I wanted to ask him, it just didn't seem like the right time. After all, Joe had just played a blistering set with "the Foot" at a free concert for fans at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and now it was the wee hours of the morning. The time just wasn't right to ask for an interview, though we did chat a bit about Joe about being in Chickenfoot, his playing, and life on the road. Mostly I just sat quietly with Joe and his manager, Mick Brigden, and watched a DVD of The Who's "Amazing Journey," thinking that it was a pretty amazing journey I was on myself. Months later, Joe was kind enough to let me email him the questions I'd been wanting to ask. Here are the questions he answered in that Q&A:

NICK ARNOLD : When you were recording Chickenfoot's debut release in 2009, you used a prototype of your current "JS2400", 24 fret guitar, and utilized all the extra frets at the end of the neck. How did you compensate for the lack of extra playing range when you toured live for the album with your regular, 22 fret guitars?

JOE SATRIANI : The use of artificial harmonics helped out quite a bit. This is a technique where I use my right hands thumb to lightly touch the string I’m picking in a particular spot to get a harmonic note of my choice. In this case a note beyond the 22nd fret.
NA: As one of the most versatile, skilled, and influential rock guitarists of all time, you've been able to work and play alongside many other great musicians, like Deep Purple, the afore-mentioned Chickenfoot, and Mick Jagger. Are there any musicians you've never been able to work with that you would like to play alongside? Or maybe a better question would be: If you could put any musicians (living or deceased) in a group together, who would you pick and why?

JS: Jimi Hendrix! Since that will never happen, let’s focus on the first question. You never know who might call, or, walk into your musical life. I don’t dream about playing with other musicians as much as I prepare for the random chance that I will be surprised by a situation to arise, just like Chickenfoot. I didn’t see that coming, but I’m so glad it happened!

NA: It has been several years since you have organized another G3 tour, which has showcased the greatest guitarists, including you, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, John Petrucci, and Yngwie Malmsteen. Will there be another G3 tour sometime in the future? Are there any guitarists who have not been included on the tour who you would like to have join?

JS: G3 is alive and well, just looking for the right three-some. I would love to get Jeff Beck, Eddie Van Halen, Billy Gibbons, etc… to join us. Getting the right mix is tricky, and the logistics take time and care to manage. But, I’m confident we will get another G3 going soon.
NA: As a huge name in the instrumental-rock world, how do you choose which brands and equipment to play and endorse, and why do you use the gear you play?

JS: I only endorse brands that I play everyday. The gear has to help me make music; it’s that simple.
NA: For many years you have toured as a solo artist, but lately you've been playing a lot with groups like Chickenfoot and Living Colour (on the Experience Hendrix tour). How has your work as a guitarist been influenced by your recent group projects?

JS: Every musical situation leaves you enriched and enhanced in some way. Playing with other musicians broadens your playing abilities. Your playing improves and your writing ideas expand. I highly recommend mixing it up with other musicians when ever you can.

NA: I've heard that Jimi Hendrix is one of your greatest influences on your playing. What is it like to play on the Experience Hendrix tour with so many amazing musicians and getting to pay homage to your hero?

JS: Each night is enlightening. Hearing great players interpret Jimi’s music each night is an awesome experience in itself. Getting to jam with these guys using Hendrix music as a focal point is even better. The vibe on tour is so cool; everybody is open to exchange and experimentation.
NA: In the past, you've taught students who have gone on to become successful guitarists (Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett, Alex Skolnick, Larry LaLonde), were there any that stood out while you were mentoring them that you thought would go on to become great guitarists? Have you been able to keep in touch with some of your students?

JS: Steve Vai, being just 12 years old when I met him, already showed signs of greatness. It was very exciting to teach him. We stay in touch and tour together to this day!

NA: Thinking back, can you remember any times from when you were learning new techniques on the guitar that frustrated you to the point of considering giving up the instrument? How and why did you continue playing?

JS: Frustration is part of the learning process, but giving up is not. You just have to learn to keep learning, evolving and changing along with life around you.

And with those words of wisdom from Professor Satchafunkilus, the interview was over. I know I'm not the only one who is watching to see what's next for this gracious, talented man.

No comments:

Post a Comment