Thursday, March 26, 2009

Richard Cole Interview

KING OF THE ROAD

By, Nick Arnold

In the interest of full disclosure and total honesty, I have to admit that the subject of this interview is not a stranger to me. Richard Cole, the infamous, legendary road manager for Led Zeppelin, has known me my entire life. He came to see me at Cedars Sinai in L.A. when I was born. He and my Mom have been close for 23 years (she calls him “Old King Cole”). He met my dad through my mom 16 years ago and now they are good friends, too.

Both my family and Richard moved away from L.A. years ago. He went back to his hometown of London; my family transferred to Minneapolis and then back to the San Diego area… but over the years he has stayed in close touch. I have been privileged to visit him in London a couple of times, including in December, 2007, for the Led Zeppelin reunion concert. He’s also come to see my family numerous times. I asked Richard if he would allow me ask him a few questions about his life and career, and he was kind enough to agree. The following interview was conducted by email and phone calls between California and London in March, 2009.

Nick Arnold: Richard, thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview… I know you don’t like people wasting your time, so I will get right to it. I’m 15, live in the San Diego area, and live for rock music… all of these details might remind you of someone with the same background who came on the road with Zeppelin - Cameron Crowe. What do you remember about Cameron back then? Did you recognize yourself in ALMOST FAMOUS?

Richard Cole: Did I recognize myself? No not really. I was not so tame as the film portrayed! Cameron was a very knowledgeable young man then, and the band and I liked him… so he got to see a little more than other journalists. He was very bright and knew his music.


NA: Like me?

RC: (Laughing) That remains to be seen, young man! But yes, I would say you have that same passion for music. But I doubt your mother would let you go on the road! Certainly not with anyone the likes of me and Zeppelin!

NA: You’re right about that – my Mom would NOT let me do what Cameron did. But at least my parents did let me go with them to see the Zeppelin reunion at the O2 Arena in London in December, 2007. One of the greatest nights of my life. Of course you were there, too… After that concert, you jokingly said that you finally “got what all the fuss was about!” That was the FIRST time ever you were able to experience a concert from the audience and see what the crowd saw. How many shows did you work with Zeppelin?

RC: It must have been in excess of 650 worldwide over 12 years. I went from driving a station wagon with one accompanying truck to a traveling circus, including a private airplane and many semis, limos, security detail. But we still only used a small on-stage road crew: 1 technician per musician.

NA: What was your experience of all those shows from your point of view backstage?

RC: It was a job you just did -- hectic, fun, but with precision: everything was calculated from arrival to departure back to our plane. In the early days we hung out and enjoyed ourselves then went back to our hotel, or clubs. In a way it was more fun before it all got very big and the eyes of the world were on the band.

NA: Are there any specific concerts that really stand out in your memory?



RC: Perhaps Atlanta stands out because of the size of the Braves’ stadium. Also the Bath Festival in 1970 because of the sheer numbers of people present, and of course Boston Tea Party club the first tour. That’s when it became clear the band were going to be enormous.

NA: You have said before that you didn’t get into the music business for the music, but for the girls who were always around and the other “goodies”… but I think you like music more than you admit. Don’t you have a favorite Led Zeppelin song?

RC: Honestly, not really. It all depends on my mood. When I am thinking of the past, different tunes provide my background.

NA: So back to the O2 Arena reunion concert. What did it mean to you?

RC: For me I was able to see what everyone else had been seeing for years: a really spectacular band, perfect music played to the highest standards… quite overwhelming from the front of stage. I was quite proud of my small contribution I made in those twelve years on the road.

NA: OK, well you are being modest there because I know you made more than a small contribution.

RC: No comment. I have learned to be a humble man. I’m just lucky to be alive. (Chuckles).

NA: You went to see Robert’s concert with Alison Krauss in London last year when they toured in support of their “Raising Sand” album. What was your reaction?


RC: I like bluegrass/country so it was a pleasant experience. Robert seemed very comfortable with what he was doing, and it sounded great to me.

NA: Who are some of the other artists you have worked with that you really like or admire?

RC: Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Quireboys, The Who, The Yardbirds. In fact they all had their place in my life at different times. I was pretty happy just being on the road all those years. It was a heady life for a working class kid. I found something I was good at and got to live very well for a long time because of it.

NA: Things have changed a lot since you entered the music business in the 1960s. Any advice for a young person trying to break into the business today?

RC: Don't do it my way! It wouldn’t be tolerated today, all that excess and mayhem! The sixties and early seventies were the wild west days of music. Things certainly did not have the corporate atmosphere of today. Everybody now lives by their laptops and blackberries. I don’t know if there are any more visionaries like Ahmet Ertegun today. I don’t think so. I was lucky to live (and survive!!!) through the truly golden age of rock. It was a great ride and I’m happy just to still be around!

###

No comments:

Post a Comment